This April there will be a Rethinking Autism State Conference! This event will bring together hundreds of voices as a passionate statewide network to inspire hope and ignite change. Speakers, educators, students, paraprofessionals, therapists, psychologists, medical professionals, caregivers, parents, individuals on the spectrum and many other interested persons will learn from Tracy Thresher and Larry Bissonnette, stars of Wretches and Jabberers fame; Marily Chadwick, Speech/Language Pathologist and Senior Consultant for the Institute for Communication and Inclusion at Syracuse University; Casey DePriest, Board-Certified Music Therapy and CEO/Founder of Optimal Rhythms, Inc./ACCESS Academy; and John Smyth, 17 year old non-verbal self-advocate from Saved by Typing of Carmel Indiana.
Benefits of Attending:
- Participants will learn about the importance of presuming competence when working with individuals with communication, social, and motor impairments.
- Participants will learn about the benefits, validity, and training protocols of supportive typing as Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC).
- Participants will explore the sensory and movement differences of autims that are too often misunderstood and treated as behavioral reposonses
- Participants will learn to recognize the brain-body disconnect experienced by many individuals on the autism spectrum and the nerologic music therapy techniques that can and do make a difference.
- Participants will learn how “silent supports” can lead to improved motor functioning, sensory regulation, emotional regulation, communication, academic access, and self-esteem in individuals on the autism spectrum.