Facilitated Communication Training Program, Part 6: Skill Building III - Saturday, February 17, 2017
Our ongoing Training Cycle for Communicators and Support Teams, a series of eight monthly FC Training Workshops, continues with the sixth workshop in the series, Skill Building III, on Saturday, February 17, from 9 AM to 4 PM, which will be immediately followed by our monthly Celebration of Communication, which we encourage everyone attending the training to plan to stay for.
While not required, this workshop is designed for those who have completed the first seven parts of this training program.
This is a 6 hour training - 4 hours for adults only, followed by 2 hours of typing practice with typers. The cost for this workshop is $95.00 per adult attendee.
This one-day program will be conducted by FC Trainer Laura Poorman-Richmond. Known simply as “Poorman” to her friends, colleagues, and clients, Laura has been a Facilitated Typing trainer in the metropolitan Indianapolis area for more than 20 years. Her kindness, patience, insights, and understanding has had an amazing effect on the people whose lives she has touched.
Skill Building III will focus on Message Passing, including:
- Open Communication
- Authorship/develop profile
• Unique words/phrases
• Unique spelling
• Unexpected words
• Expressions confirmed by additional independent communication
• Message passing
- Authorship/develop profile
- Authorship strengthened by one or all of these signs across various facilitators.
- Message passing
- Must be learned
- Look for instances where it occurs naturally
- Nurture by don’t penalize inaccuracy
- Protest Strategy
• Protect typer’s voice
- Negative consequences
- Mind, body, & movement intervention
- Authorize intention (Play Game “Oh My”)
- Protecting a person’s voice requires a commitment to:
- Having several facilitators
- Develop typing in a framework of total communication
- Work toward minimum level of support
- Develop message passing & protest strategy
- Message passing
- Protest Strategy Practice
- Influencing typer
- Ask student to let you know
- Look for signs of “shut down”
- Course correction
- Let the typers determine/have a say in a strategy that works
- Hooking into the network
- Video Review/Protest Strategy Activity
- See what/how the typer reacts when “influenced” adopt that strategy/discuss if they allowed it teach them to take a stand.
- Where are your eyes
- Monitor your own body-watch many things not just the message communicators posture facial expression, movement of their arm.
- Allow Communicator to be seen, not you.
- “Land of Predictability”-getting stuck
- Can’t fade support?
- Movement issues
- Readiness level
- Single Selection
- Different output from facilitators red flag different output
Training Program Schedule
We have published event pages and opened registration for all the programs in this 8-part training cycle. You can access these pages for more information, or to register for these events, by clicking on the links below:
- June 17 - Part One: Intro Training
- July 15 - Part Two: Foundations Training
- August 19 - Part Three: Moving on Up!
- September 16 - Part Four:Skill Building I
- October 21 - Part Five: Skill Building II
- January 20, 2018 - Intro Training (Encore)
- February 17 - Part Six: Skill Building III
- March 17 - Part Seven: Skill Building IV
- April 21 - Part Eight: Working Toward Independence
This training is open to new and current facilitators, those interested in becoming a facilitator, or anyone interested in learning more about FC. The cost to attend the training workshop is $95/person for the full day of training. There is no cost for any typer that would like to attend the afternoon session only.
NOTE: If you plan to apply for a Medicaid Waiver to cover the cost of this training, you should register at least 30 days prior to the training. Use the Pay By Check option, which REQUIRES NO UPFRONT PAYMENT. We will send you an invoice to submit to your case manager.
If you preregister for all the training workshops you want to attend, we will send you all the invoices you will need to submit, which will give your case manager time to arrange for funds and get the waivers approved.
FCAR is a medicaid waiver service available on the CIH and Family Supports Waivers. Families must have a Medicaid waiver in order to use FCAR.
There are several providers for this service. Families who want to utilize a waiver service should contact their case managers first and will need to select a provider from a pick list. Families have to add FCAR funds to their waiver budget, which must be submitted to and approved by the state prior to receiving any payments. We recommend that you contact your case manager at least 30 days before an event to start the process.
If less than 30 days prior to the training date, you will still be able to register online and pay by credit/debit card or with the "Pay By Check" option. We will send you an invoice to submit to your case manager. However, depending on which waiver service provider you use, we cannot guarantee that you will be reimbursed if you submit an invoice after the event date.
In this case, you will be responsible to pay the registration fees at the start of the training, unless prior alternative arrangements are made.
To make alternative payment arrangements, or for more information regarding the workshop, contact Saved By Typing by phone (317-843-5566) or by email: email@example.com.
Click here to scroll down to registration form.
REGISTER FOR WORKSHOP
If you have any problems registering, please contact Andy, our webmaster, directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide a phone number and he will get back to you as soon as possible to help you complete the registration process.