Facilitated Communication Training Program, Part 7: Skill Building IV - Saturday, March 17, 2018
Saved By Typing will present the seventh part of our monthly FC Training Workshops, Skill Building IV, on Saturday, March 17, from 9 AM to 4 PM.
While not required, this workshop is designed for those who have completed the first six parts of this training program.
This is a 6 hour training - 4 hours for adults only, followed by 2 hours of typing practice with typers. The cost for this workshop is $95.00 per adult attendee.
This one-day program will be conducted by FC Trainer Laura Poorman-Richmond. Known simply as “Poorman” to her friends, colleagues, and clients, Laura has been a Facilitated Typing trainer in the metropolitan Indianapolis area for more than 20 years. Her kindness, patience, insights, and understanding has had an amazing effect on the people whose lives she has touched.
Skill Building IV will focus on Troubleshooting Key Problem Areas. Topics will include:
- Communicator continues to be emotional and “resistant”
- Trouble with new facilitator
- They do not have the resources to make the connection on their own when not given in the right/familiar way
- New facilitator stick with it with support from experienced trainer/coach
- Encourage typer to work with new person to build trust in others
- Each new facilitator starts at the bottom of the ladder
- Expand the circle of support
- To have adequate access to support throughout the day and in a variety of circumstances
- Best Practice
- Ladder of communication with each level of fading and new facilitator
- Regular check-ins with facilitator positioning to best support
- Don’t get sloppy
- Document progress
- Importance of Training
- Mind/body movement interventions
- Apply those basics to working with your child/student.
- Secondly to be able to shift your role as you go beyond the basics.
- Go from constructed rhythm to communication rhythm.
- Training keeps you fresh and learning.
Training Program Schedule
We have published event pages and opened registration for all the programs in this 8-part training cycle. You can access these pages for more information, or to register for these events, by clicking on the links below:
- June 17 - Part One: Intro Training
- July 15 - Part Two: Foundations Training
- August 19 - Part Three: Moving on Up!
- September 16 - Part Four:Skill Building I
- November 4 (rescheduled from October 21) - Part Five: Skill Building II
- January 20, 2018 - Intro Training (Encore)
- February 17 February 24 - Part Two: Foundations Training (Encore) III
- March 17 - Part Three: Moving On Up! (Encore)
- April 21 - Skill Building I (Encore)
- May 19 - Skill Building II (Encore)
This training is open to new and current facilitators, those interested in becoming a facilitator, or anyone interested in learning more about FC. The cost to attend the training workshop is $95/person for the full day of training. There is no cost for any typer that would like to attend the afternoon session only.
NOTE: If you plan to apply for a Medicaid Waiver to cover the cost of this training, you should register at least 30 days prior to the training. Use the Pay By Check option, which REQUIRES NO UPFRONT PAYMENT. We will send you an invoice to submit to your case manager.
If you preregister for all the training workshops you want to attend, we will send you all the invoices you will need to submit, which will give your case manager time to arrange for funds and get the waivers approved.
FCAR is a medicaid waiver service available on the CIH and Family Supports Waivers. Families must have a Medicaid waiver in order to use FCAR.
There are several providers for this service. Families who want to utilize a waiver service should contact their case managers first and will need to select a provider from a pick list. Families have to add FCAR funds to their waiver budget, which must be submitted to and approved by the state prior to receiving any payments. We recommend that you contact your case manager at least 30 days before an event to start the process.
If less than 30 days prior to the training date, you will still be able to register online and pay by credit/debit card or with the "Pay By Check" option. We will send you an invoice to submit to your case manager. However, depending on which waiver service provider you use, we cannot guarantee that you will be reimbursed if you submit an invoice after the event date.
In this case, you will be responsible to pay the registration fees at the start of the training, unless prior alternative arrangements are made.
To make alternative payment arrangements, or for more information regarding the workshop, contact Saved By Typing by phone (317-843-5566) or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to scroll down to registration form.
REGISTER FOR WORKSHOP
If you have any problems registering, please contact Andy, our webmaster, directly at email@example.com. Please provide a phone number and he will get back to you as soon as possible to help you complete the registration process.