We often write about new and innovative ways that modern technology is being developed and used to create products and/or services for people with autism to help improve their educational abilities, employment opportunities, health and safety, and the quality of their lives. We recently heard about one father who was inspired to use create a product that will help prevent children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) from wandering off, a problem many families with autistic children face.
Being a parent is a challenging job, but it’s even more complex for those raising children “on the Spectrum.” According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, wandering off or “eloping” is a major cause for concern for children with an ASD. Studies have shown that almost 50% of families dealing with ASD reported that their kids wandered off at least once between the ages of 4 and 17.
And, as might be expected, many of these wandering cases don’t end well. In 2015, the National Autism Association recorded 32 wandering deaths for the year, which was a new record. Many of these wandering children die due to drowning, walking into traffic, and hypothermia.
Parents share how AngelSense’s wearable GPS tracking device has given them peace of mind.
It was this chilling statistic that inspired Doron Somer, the father of a 17 year old autistic son, to create AngelSense, the only GPS & Voice-Monitoring solution exclusively for children with special needs.
Designed to create a safer world for children with special needs, AngelSense combines a GPS Tracker device worn by the child with an app for parents to give them the peace of mind of knowing exactly where their child is at every moment of the day.
While there are many different types of GPS devices and apps available, the unique capabilities AngelSense provides makes it a great all-in-one solution to help protect those children that cannot protect themselves. These features include:
- Full-Day View of Your Child – see your child’s routes and locations during the whole day in a simple diary format at 30-second intervals.
- Alerts for Unexpected Places – receive a text message when your child arrives and departs from a specific place, and for every unexpected car stop and location change.
- Proven Child Search Mode – benefit from a special ‘Runner Mode’ designed to help find your child. Get reliable child exit alerts, live 10-second updates, and direction to your child on a map.
- Designed for Children with Special Needs – the only GPS tracking device for kids with sensory sensitivities. Includes non-removable accessories for the GPS device and a special key for removal by the parent.
- Listen-In Capability – listen in to sense your child’s situation and make sure he or she is safe; helps validate emergency situations to improve special needs child care.
- First Responder Group Alarm – with one click of this new feature added in January, 2016, you can SMS a predefined trusted group of people regarding a lost child, along with a live view of the child’s location & direction to the child.
Lency Nunez, who lives in the Bronx, credits the First Responder Alert feature with saving the life of Hanzel, her 17-year-old son with autism, after he wandered off while she was attending a community meeting. For the full story, read the NY Daily News report, “Bronx mom credits GPS with finding her missing autistic son”.
- School Dashboard – provide your child’s school with a special interface that helps school staff ensure the child is safe during school hours.
Another unique feature of AngelSense is that their customer service department is staffed by parents of special needs children working from home. They are all expert users of AngelSense and passionate about helping other parents. AngelSense users who contact the company for help will know there will be a human being on the other end who knows exactly what they’re going through.
For more information about AngelSense, both the company and the product, visit their website, www.angelsense.com
What Parents are saying about AngelSense
“It is like another set of ears and eyes for me, which has been really comforting”
“AngelSense has provided me with the ability to locate my son at any time, even in the densely crowded landscape of New York City. Every day I listen-in to hear his interaction with his teachers and friends at school. Once he’s home, we go over the diary together and I show him the Google map pictures of where he’s been that day; it’s a special time where we talk about his day together.”
Natasha, Jaeden’s mom
Read more of Natasha’s review of AngelSense. (opens in new window)
“The reason we chose AngelSense is because it answered everything we have been wishing for”
“My husband and I have been looking for something like this for over a decade! I’d like to thank the investors/ creators/ founders of this magnificent device. It doesn’t surprise that you and your staff would be parents of children like my Christian because only someone who was would be able to answer my prayers this way!”
Marta, Christian’s mom
Read more of Marta’s review of AngelSense. (opens in new window)